Friday, March 8, 2013

Film Friday: Warm Bodies

I know, it's not Thursday.  But this is a post that I would definitely put on Theater Thursday except I can't wait another six days!  I am THAT excited.

A few weeks ago my husband and I ditched out two cute kiddos and went to a movie.  This is always tricky because he likes movies that are, in his words, "Shoot'em up thrillers."  I, on the other hand, like romance, comedies, and romantic comedies.  So our tastes rarely overlap, and what we usually see together is a compromise.  Thus, Warm Bodies.  I'd heard that it was a zombie love story, and he heard that someone's brain gets eaten at the beginning (both true), and we thought, "Hey, there's something there for both of us."

For those of you unfamiliar with the story, let me recap.  The movie takes place in an apocalyptic world.  Zombies have taken over, with only one human stronghold left over.  The daughter of the main general guy (Julie) gets captured in a series of unfortunate events, by a love-smitten zombie named R.  Oh yeah, and R happens to be the zombie that ate Julie's now ex-boyfriend, so there's that complication.  But Julie and R soon overcome that and many other obstacles in their relationship, and find out that their love may be the key in solving the zombie crisis.

Honestly, I hated the movie for the first twenty minutes.  It was dark, violent, and depressing.  But the movie, like the characters themselves, changed and developed, and by the end I literally LOVED it.  Let me say that again:  I LOVED IT.  And my husband really liked it to.  We both couldn't believe we'd liked the same movie so much.  The storyline is great, a modern-day nod to Romeo & Juliet set in a very funny and unusual backdrop.  The cast was fabulous.  R is hilarious and Julie is the sort of girl that makes you believe that a zombie could fall in love with her.  So good.  So, so good.  For more info, check out the trailer:


Now, here's the confession:  I did not know that this movie was based on a book.  At least not until ten minutes ago.  And then I flipped out and rushed to buy it.   I haven't read it, but I am going to as soon as I finish this post.  But before I immerse myself into the novel, I thought I would share this great news with all of you.  I'm thinking that if the movie is really great, the book must be worth reading as well.  I'll let you know in a later post if my expectations are met, but for now, check out the summary from Goodreads below.   Have a great weekend and happy reading!



'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.

This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight... 



No comments:

Post a Comment