Friday, March 29, 2013

Film Friday: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

It's always awkward when there are two colons in your title.  Oh well

This week is a great one for book to movie releases. First, The Host is here!  And yes, that statement is deserving of an exclamation point---at least I hope it is.  I haven't actually seen the movie yet, but I'm excited.  I didn't love the Twilight movies.  I saw them, of course.  Avoiding them is like trying not to stare at a car crash on the side of the road. You simply can't do it, even though you know you may regret it later depending on how bad it is. Still, I'm hoping what's true about the books holds for the movies, specifically that I'll enjoy The Host more than I enjoyed Twilight and Co.

Second, as if the first weren't enough, we get to see the first trailer for Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.  To be honest, I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy this movie, though I have high hopes.  As far as the books go, the second was probably my least favorite, and the first movie was . . . well, it was okay.  But I hear this second one will stay more true to the book (always a big plus), and since I'm always pro book to movie adaptions for so many reasons---they make the books more popular, they promote reading (I mean, you have to find out what happens next), they expose an author to a wider audience, etc.---I can't wait to see this movie. Plus the preview looks pretty good.  Check out out this trailer.



Now for all of you who haven't read the book, here's a quick summary courtesy of Goodreads.

The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come. Quoted from Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment