Thursday, March 28, 2013

Book Review: Chasing the Prophecy

The #1 New York Times bestselling Beyonders fantasy trilogy comes to a stunning and epic conclusion.

Jason and Rachel were not born in Lyrian. They did not grow up in Lyrian. But after all of the battles and losses, the triumphs and adventures, and most of all, the friendships forged in this fantastical world, Lyrian has become home to them in a way they never could have imagined.
And so, armed now with the prophecy of a dying oracle, they have gone on their separate quests—each surrounded by brave and powerful allies—knowing that the chance for success is slim. But Jason and Rachel are ready at last to become the heroes Lyrian needs, no matter the cost. Quoted from Goodreads


********************

I totally thought I posted about this weeks ago, but I guess I didn't.  I think it got stuck in draft form and never actually published to my blog, so I'm sorry this is so late.  Anyway, here we have another great conclusion to a really fun series, and I'm sort of sad to see it go.  Of course, I'm hoping there's a spin-off, but, who knows?  It could happen.  It's set up that way, but at the same time, it works if there isn't.

The problem with final books is I have a hard time reviewing the whole book as opposed to the final three or four chapters.  Somehow, they sort of blend into the previous books, and I'm left thinking what I loved (and hated) about the book's actual ending.  In my head that's not so bad. I mean, often I'm immensely satisfied by what happened to all the characters.  Sometimes, of course, I'm furious and, occasionally, confused. If I'm just thinking about things, though, it's not a bad way to remember a book. When I write a review, however . . . lets just say it makes it really hard not to sprinkle spoilers all over everything.  But don't worry, I won't.

Honestly, I think this book lives up to it's predecessors.  It's full of action, quests, battles, political intrigue  and Rachel really comes into her own.  But what about Jason, you ask? Jason plays a key role in everything, don't get me wrong, and some of the best chapters are from his point of view, but Rachel's the one who really grows in this book.  She gets a little bogged down in the middle, and for a while I couldn't wait for her chapters to be over so I could get back to what Jason was doing, but in the end, it's her chapters that show the most growth and I couldn't wait to read.

One thing must be said for Brandon Mull, he isn't afraid to kill off his characters.  I learned this in Fablehaven, but I still didn't expect quite the number of main characters that would sacrifice themselves. I'm a sucker for sacrifice, and there are several moments I loved for that very reason.  On the other hand, there is one character whose death really bothered me.  I won't say whose; I let you figure out that for yourself, but much like Finnick in Mockingjay, one particular death still irritates me because it didn't need to happen.  Yes, you can make the counter argument that senseless death is part of war and not all heroes survive.  I get that.  But sometimes living is more of a statement than dying.

Still, this book wrapped up all the loose ends from the previous books really well. We have two great quests from Rachel and Jason's POV, both of which had their more shining moments.  I should probably mention, Nedwin's chapters are among my favorite. They were totally unexpected (though I should have seen at least one aspect coming if I had remembered one small detail sooner), delightful, shocking, and a little sad all at the same time.

Anyway, be prepared to loose several characters that you love. Be prepared to face crazy tasks and cool, new villains (or new aspects of old ones).  Be prepared for twists and turns in the plot I never saw coming.  Be prepared to stay up late because you have to find out what happens next.  And be prepared for a bittersweet ending that is half perfect and half not, one that makes you beg for a spin-off series just so you can find out what happens to your favorite characters next.

This is an exciting 4 stars for me.  I loved all the adventure, the twists, the villains, the heroes, the sacrifice  and the crazy settings/species. If you're looking for an exciting read, check this out, especially because the series is over.  Now you won't have to wait, unlike the rest of us poor suckers, to find out how the series ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment