Friday, February 21, 2014

Book Review: Perfect Lies

Annie and Fia are ready to fight back.

The sisters have been manipulated and controlled by the Keane Foundation for years, trapped in a never ending battle for survival. Now they have found allies who can help them truly escape. After faking her own death, Annie has joined a group that is plotting to destroy the Foundation. And Fia is working with James Keane to bring his father down from the inside.


But Annie's visions of the future can't show her who to trust in the present. And though James is Fia's first love, Fia knows he's hiding something. The sisters can rely only on each other - but that may not be enough to save them.  Quoted from Goodreads

*******************



I think I liked this book even more than Mind Games. It was everything you could hope for in a sequel and then some. 

In the first book I was totally team Fia, probably because I absolutely love her unique super power.  Fia's was the POV that I loved reading, while Annie was more filler/take a break from poor Fia's issues. I feel like in this book it's much more equal.  Annie grew into a much more interesting character once she was out of the school and away from Fia.  Plus, I loved her romance in this.  It was cute, adorable, and different because of her ability.

The conflict in this book is even more action packed and stressful.  It's so interesting when your opposition is staffed with mind readers and feelers (people who can sense your emotions), so you can't actually plan anything to take them down or they'll know and stop you.  It sort of drove me crazy but at the same time made for a really compelling read because you didn't know exactly what would happen.

I actually enjoyed the writing this time a lot. Kiersten did a great job with Fia as she mentally spirals towards the end, and it contrasts nicely with Anne's POV. Both voices and characters are really distinct and I never questioned whose POV I was reading. The only thing that was a little confusing was the timeline, since Fia's chapters were several weeks/months later than Anne's. At the same time, it made for some interesting reveals once I learned to pay attention to the chapter headings.

Basically, if you're looking for an action packed, fast read, look no further.  It's got everything from super powers, romance, action, importance of family, betrayal, covert missions, mind games (yes, I'm referencing the first title), and assassinations.  It's a strong 4 stars for me.  Part of me wishes that this was a trilogy, but at the same time I really liked the ending of this book. I guess I'll just have to wait for Kiersten's next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment