Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Book Review: Shadow of the Mark


Their love could destroy them all.

Through the ages, Marked Ones have harnessed the powers of the four elements: Water, Fire, Earth, and Air. Much about the elements is shrouded in mystery, but one thing is certain: A relationship between two Marked Ones has the potential to cause widespread devastation.

Megan and Adam—Air and Water—are determined to defy the risks.
But the power that swirls inside Megan is growing in twisted ways. And the closer she is to Adam, the closer Megan comes to unleashing a dark force that could spell destruction for the entire Marked line.  Quoted from Goodreads

********************

In a nutshell, if you like the first book, you'll probably like this one, if not, this book isn't going to sell you on the series.

Really, I think this book is pretty much just like the last one.  It's mostly Megan and Adams relationship---they can't be together for some reason or another connected to their powers, but they're determined to make it anyway---and then the very end we get some action. 

Here's the thing. I love the mythology in this book.  I enjoy the world Leigh Fallon created, the lies and conspiracies, the way their powers evolve, etc.  My one problem is Megan and Adam's relationship.  Sure, they're cute together, and to be honest it bothered me less in this book just because this is the second book in the series, so their relationship had already been established, but the fact of the matter is, I have no idea why those two are together.  Sure, there's this mysterious pull that made them fall instantly in love, but that's all we get.  Even after they're together, we never get to see why they work so well as a couple.  They just go around making out and declaring their never-ending love.  We never know why they were drawn to each other in the first place or why they're still together.  If there were more action, more focus on their powers and the conspiracy surrounding them, it wouldn't be such an issue, but like I said, their relationship is the backbone of this series, and I'm afraid it's a bit lacking.

Still, like I said before, I really do like the mythology.  I love the ideas she plays with.  My favorite part is probably the way Megan's powers interact with Rian and Aine's. I won't give anything away, but it was probably the twist I loved most in this book. Seriously, there were parts that cracked me up.  

I also really enjoyed the addition of Chloe to the mix and the part Caitlin plays in everything.  I won't give away more because of spoilers, but they were both great additions to the plot.  Even Petra, Megan's Dad's girlfriend was a nice addition though I didn't love her as much as the other two.

Plus, we finally get introduced to the true villain of the story!  In the first book the whole kidnapping thing was really weak, in my opinion.  This ending was slightly better.  Plus we're given a concrete evil that Megan will have to overcome.  I realize life isn't always like that, but this story was begging for  a solid antagonist and now we have one.

All in all, I think this book is a definite improvement over the first one, but like I said before, if the first one didn't grab you, this one probably won't either.  Still, I'm invested enough in the series that I need to see it end. Plus, with the way the this book concluded, the third one looks to be a definite improvement, and may even solve all the hang-ups I have with the first two.  At least I can hope.  This book is a nice 3 stars for me.  I love the cover and am hoping the third one finally grows into the story's potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment