Thursday, December 6, 2012

Theater Thursday: Warm Bodies

This book came out in Oct. 2010.  I noticed it, read the summary, and dismissed it.

I'm not really into zombies, despite their rampant popularity right now. I've read the occasional book (okay, one), but I just don't understand the fascination.  Then I saw the trailer for Warm Bodies a few weeks ago, and I might reconsider my stance. It helps that this looks more like a comedy than a horror, which is more up my alley. Anyway, check out the preview below.  I'm actually pretty excited.


So, yeah.  That's the trailer.  Now I'm debating reading the book. My problem is this. I don't like to read the book too close to the movie release date.  This one is scheduled for Feb. 2013, which is only a few months away.  If I read the book too close to the release date, I remember too much, which leads to me not liking the movie as much as I want to.  I don't have time to forget all those pesky details that the movie left out or changed.  On the other hand, if I wait for the movie to come out, then when I read the book, too much of the setting and characters are supplied by the film, which doesn't always do the book justice.  Either way I'm looking forward to the movie.  If you are interested in reading the book, here's a short summary below.

R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams.

After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and strangely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a blast of color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that surrounds R. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world.

Scary, funny, and surprisingly poignant, Warm Bodies is about being alive, being dead and the blurry line in between. Quoted from Goodreads

If you've read this and love it, let me know.  Right now I'm thinking I'll read this after the movie, but you're free to try and convince me otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment