Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Book Review: Opal

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it. Quote from Goodreads

--------------------

Sometimes I finish a book and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.  On one hand, I loved the ending of this one.  It was a perfect (if slightly predictable) cliffhanger, that makes me ache for the next book. On the other hand, there was a lot less action then the previous two books, and I feel like there were a lot less reveals and expansion of the excellent world Jennifer Armentrout has created.

This book basically focuses on Katy and Daemon's relationship and the fallout from the end of the second book.  (Spoiler alert.  If you haven't read the second book, I'm going to be giving some big stuff away, so be warned.)  Dee is still grieving Adam's death, and Dawson is trying to put his life together, while striving to get Beth back.

I loved Dawson.  Yes, he's a bit unstable after a year in prison, and he will do anything, even crazy stuff, to get Beth back, but it was fun watching him grow and seeing his relationship with his siblings.  His story's kind of the cautionary tale for Daemon and Katy.  It adds another layer to their romance because it highlights how easily it could be lost.

 I didn't like Dee.  I understand she is grieving, but she makes it really hard to feel sorry for her.  Especially with Dawson back in the picture, she could have handled a lot of things rather differently.

Then there's Katy and Daemon.  I liked their relationship a lot more in this one.  Before it was so back and forth, up and down, it was hard to finish the book without suffering from whiplash.  This book settled down to a real, caring relationship, and I really enjoyed it.  I'll warn you, this is absolutely a book for older teens, especially as their relationship progresses through the book.

My one real complaint about this book is I felt like it was lacking a little bit on the action.  I learned so much in the last two books about the Luxen and the threats Katy, Daemon, etc. face, that this book was a little lacking on reveals.  Yes, we get the introduction to the rare Opal and it's powers, but it wasn't a big reveal like Onyx, at least not to me.  Plus, there really wasn't a lot of action. There were the two attempts to rescue Beth, but that's about it.  Yes, we worry about Blake, and there's the weird nightclub and it's owner, but this book lacked the tension of the first two.  I think it's supposed to be Katy and Daemon's romantic calm before the storm (and Dawson's healing period) sort of thing, but I'm hoping the next book picks up the pace.  From the cliffhanger, I'm guessing it does.

This book was a nice 3.5 stars for me.  I enjoyed it, and it was a fun continuation of the series.  Would I have liked a bit more action and suspense?  Yes.  But I'm guessing the next book with pick up the pace.   Plus there's that beautiful ending.  Honestly, that ending is what bumped the book up an extra half star.  Anything that ends with such a lovely, torturous bang has to be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment