Thursday, January 8, 2015

Book Review: Firefight

They told David it was impossible--that even the Reckoners had never killed a High Epic. Yet, Steelheart--invincible, immortal, unconquerable--is dead. And he died by David's hand. 

Eliminating Steelheart was supposed to make life more simple. Instead, it only made David realize he has questions. Big ones. And there's no one in Newcago who can give him the answers he needs. 
Babylon Restored, the old borough of Manhattan, has possibilities, though. Ruled by the mysterious High Epic, Regalia, David is sure Babylon Restored will lead him to what he needs to find. And while entering another city oppressed by a High Epic despot is a gamble, David's willing to risk it. Because killing Steelheart left a hole in David's heart. A hole where his thirst for vengeance once lived. Somehow, he filled that hole with another Epic--Firefight. And he's willing to go on a quest darker, and more dangerous even, than the fight against Steelheart to find her, and to get his answers.   Quoted from Goodreads

*********************

Read this book.  

I'm serious.  Go to the library, borrow it from a friend, visit your local bookstore---whatever you need to do to get your hands on this book.  It is that good.

This book picks up a few months after Steelheart (and if you haven't read that book yet, what are you waiting for?).  Someone is sending Epics to attack Newcago, so Prof, Tia, and David head to Babylon Restored to confront Regalia, Oblivion, and Firefight/Megan.  If you liked book one, this is possibly (probably) better.  In Steelheart, we mostly see Steelheart. Here we have multiple Epics to destroy and more mysteries to solve.

This book starts with a bang and never lets you put it down.  I loved Steelheart, so this was clearly one of my top anticipated books of 2015, and it met every expectation and then some.  Some of the things I loved: David.  He is one of my favorite main characters.  I love his focus, his worry about being a nerd, his horrible (totally makes me laugh) metaphors/smilies, his earnest belief in others, and his impulsive nature. Plus he grows even more in this book.  He leaves the only city he's ever known, and has to deal with a different world, full of different rules and people. I love how he discovers and confronts his fear of water, watching his interactions at his first party, his relationship with Firefight/Megan and Prof.  

Worldbuilding: It's Brandon Sanderson, so you know this is going to be good.  I love the new city---New York, aka Babylon Restored---and how creative it is.  It's a complete contrast to what we saw in Newcago and even more creative.  It's a completely unique end of the world scenario and I really loved the feel of it. Plus, it presents its own challenges and trials.  Along with the city itself is the mystery surrounding Epics and their weaknesses. There are so many fun and unique powers here.  We get to skip right past the standard super strength and flight to truly unique and creative skill sets.

Action: There is so much action. We start with a fight, and that's just the beginning.  I mean, how are you supposed to resist these two sentences. "My name is David Charleston.  I kill people with super powers." You can't.  This book hooked me in from the beginning and just kept getting better and better.  By the last quarter so many amazing things were happening I couldn't stop smiling with excitement . . . or turning pages.  

Basically, this book is amazing.  I said it with Steelheart and I echo it again.  If I were a hollywood producer/director, this is the movie I would make. It's got everything you could possibly want it a good story: tight plot, amazing bad guy, unexpected twists, mystery, action, peril, flawed/real  characters, and an unique backdrop for it all to take place.

This book is a strong 5 stars for me. I know that's starting the year out on a high note---I mean, where am I supposed to go from here---but this book totally deserves it.  Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment