Thursday, January 17, 2013

Theater Thursday: The Seventh Son

With the release of the the next Last Apprentice book, Slither, coming out next week, I thought this would be a good day to talk about the movie that's being made out of the series. It comes out  on the 18th of October, this year, and I'm rather excited . . . and a bit nervous.  I love this series.  It has great characters, creepy creatures, and lots of adventure. I'm just hoping they capture the essence of the story. From the cast you can tell the movie is changing things, but maybe it works better for the movie?  Thomas Ward is almost 13 when the first book begins.  Ben Barns is considerably older than that. Mother Malkin is the bad guy in the first book, but only a minor character in the series as a whole, so we'll see how that turns out as well.

Despite all that, I think this will be a fun adaption, I mean just look at the pictures. I love Jeff Bridges, who plays the Spook, and Julianne Moore is an excellent actress (plus she looks deliciously creepy as Mother Malkin). I'm just hoping for a trailer soon, so I'll have a better idea of how this movie is going to turn out.  If you're looking for a series full of little adventures tied into a greater one, this is it.

Plus, this is the time to start reading the books.  If you read them now, you'll have enough time to forget all the tiny details that they won't capture in the movie. I've found, for me, that I enjoy movies a lot more if I haven't read the book too recently. It lets me enjoy them so much more because I don't remember everything, so I don't get frustrated with the filmmaker's decisions.  If you're interested, here's a quick summary of the first book, The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch.

For years, Old Gregory has been the Spook for the county, ridding the local villages of evil. Now his time is coming to an end. But who will take over for him? Twenty-nine apprentices have tried—some floundered, some fled, some failed to stay alive.

Only Thomas Ward is left. He's the last hope, the last apprentice.  Quoted from Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I want to read this! Do you have it on your kindle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. I have the whole series. Dad bought them last year. Just don't read them late at night. The British name for the series is the Spook, which is pretty apt, because it's kind of dark and creepy late at night.

      Delete