Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Review: Boundless

The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfil her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all. Quoted from Goodreads


********************

This is, without a doubt, one of the best paranormal romance books out there, and possibly the best love triangle ever written.  I loved this series from the beginning, and Boundless concluded it in the absolute best way possible.  So if you haven't started this series, you need to start now, and if you already read the first two books, pick up the third.  It's just about perfect.

First, action.  These books are beautiful books, but they're not exactly action packed.  Yes, they have their shining moments when they fight off blackwings, but most of the book is more about figuring out their purpose, coming of age, and balancing relationships.  This book, however, was far more action packed than the first two, which I thought was rather perfect for the conclusion of this amazing trilogy. 

You can absolutely tell Cynthia Hand knew where she was going from the beginning. All the dreams Clara had are suddenly explained and her purpose made more clear, even if she did, at times, try and avoid it.  I love books that are well planned out, where little details  add up to significant moments.

I also actually loved this love triangle. I don't know that I've ever said that before.  Honestly, I don't t know if I ever thought that before.  Yes, there is a bit of sadness because Clara can only get with one guy, but that's also part of the beauty in the tragedy.  I love Tucker and Christian both. This is the first time I didn't know going into the last book who the main character was going to get with.  It's also the first time I didn't care.  She could have gotten with either of them, and I would have been just fine.  I loved them both, but was satisfied with Clara's decision in the end.

Another thing I loved about this book was all the perfect, little moments between the different characters.  I love Clara's relationship with Michael and how he helps her, the creepy yet touching moments with Samjeeza, and a particularly the brief chat she has before sunset at her thinking spot.  I also enjoyed Jeffery's story. Yes, he gets a bit lost and bumped about, but you can't help but care about him. Finally, Clara.  Every book makes me love her more.  Yes, she learns how to swing a sword, but that isn't really what makes her the hero. It's what she becomes, what she is willing to do for those she loves that finally allows her become the person she wants/needs to be.

This book is an amazing 5 stars for me. It is the perfect end to an excellent trilogy. I really feel that Cynthia Hand took most of the overused, stereotypical ideas and showed everyone how they should be written, so check out this series. I loved it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so excited! Except that I DO have a favorite boy that I want her to get with, so I am nervous about this final book. . .

    ReplyDelete