Thursday, April 17, 2014

Book Review: The Spooks Revenge or Fury of the Seventh Son

'He's the seventh son of a seventh son. His name is Thomas J. Ward and he's my gift to the County. When he's old enough we'll send you word. Train him well. He'll be the best apprentice you've ever had and he'll also be your last.'

These were the words of Tom's Mam to the county Spook some years ago. As Tom, the Spook and their allies prepare to battle with the Fiend on a huge scale, to finally enact their revenge, it now remains to be seen whether Mam's declaration will come true.  Quoted from Goodreads

*****************

Well, five years (for me at least) and thirteen books later, the Wardstone Chronicles has finally come to an end.  I've got mixed feelings about the final book in this series.  Some of it I won't mention here  because spoilers, spoilers, spoilers, which will make this review a bit shorter than normal because I don't want to give too much away, but you have no idea how much I want to rant.   

One of my biggest problems with this book as the conclusion is that it spends a good third of the book
setting up Joseph Delaney's next series!  I realize it's all part of Tom's story, but I felt like this final installment and face off with the Fiend got a bit short changed because there's a new big bad coming to town that will make the Fiend look like child's play. Plus another problem comes along (again, I won't mention it because of spoilers) and Tom spends at least as much time contemplating that problem as he does the final showdown with the Fiend.  I just felt like after thirteen books, what should have been the climax of the series was short changed.

As for the rest, it's just what you expect from Joseph Delaney: great characters, spooky/gruesome situations, frightening battles, strange allies, spooks agains impossible odds . . . if you've come this far, you know the drill.  His writing is simple yet descriptive, his characters well developed, and the situations complex.  While I may have some issues, it's still a fast paced, interesting read.

Basically, my advice to you is don't think of this as the last book of the series.  Another one is clearly coming out (A New Darkenss, book 1 in the Starblade Chroicles, release date Sept 2, 2014) and the story will go on.  Yes, there will be a few changes and a few new characters introduced, but it's still the same basic plot: Tom vs. The Dark. I'm giving this book a tentative 3.5 stars. The series is great and I've thoroughly enjoyed it, but I had some major issues with this book in particular. Still, it's nice to look forward to another dark adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment