Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Book Review: Emerald Green

Gwen has a destiny to fulfill, but no one will tell her what it is.

She’s only recently learned that she is the Ruby, the final member of the time-traveling Circle of Twelve, and since then nothing has been going right. She suspects the founder of the Circle, Count Saint-German, is up to something nefarious, but nobody will believe her. And she’s just learned that her charming time-traveling partner, Gideon, has probably been using her all along.


This stunning conclusion picks up where Sapphire Blue left off, reaching new heights of intrigue and romance as Gwen finally uncovers the secrets of the time-traveling society and learns her fate.  Quoted from Goodreads

*******************

I loved this book. Oh, it's not perfect by any means.  Honestly, there were parts that were kind of disappointing and things that bugged me.  Still, whether it's the writing, Gwen's voice, or the whole time-travel/chosen/prophecy aspect, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  This is one of those times when I emphasize that the stars are given based on how much I liked something, not literary merit. And again, I loved it.

First off, this series really is  one that should be read in one sitting.  The first two books don't really build to any sort of climax, they just end, leaving you waiting for the next installment.  So, if you haven't started this series, this is the perfect time.  If you have and were forced to suffer, well, the third book is here!

Basically, if you like the first two books, you'll love this one.  If you didn't, then don't even bother reading it.  Everything wrong with the first two books is still wrong here. There really isn't much more action.  I'm not totally convinced Gwen is even the hero of her own story.  I'm afraid a secondary character may have usurped that role, or at least got to put the last piece of the puzzle together (metaphorically speaking, of course). And the ending, while mostly satisfying, was hardly the climax I expected after three books.

So why do I love this book?  Gwen.  I love her character.  Sure, she cries way too much and wallows in her boy issues, but she's also a genuine sixteen-year-old girl. Her voice is perfect, and for all the training/warning she's been given about what is happening to her, I think she does an amazing job sorting through things and solving mysteries. I love her relationship with her mother and grandfather.  I absolutely adore Leslie.  She's the perfect best friend without falling into the YA stereotype.  As for Gideon, he's frustrating, with plenty of faults, but I still like his and Gwen's relationship.  In so many ways they're perfect for each other. As for the bad guy, well, you hate him from the beginning, but I adored what they did with his character in this book. 

Then there's everything outside Gwen.  I love the prophecies, the secret society that has literally waited for her for hundreds of years.  I adore Lucy and Paul, their opening and closing chapters are some of the most fun in the whole book.  I live time travel, the things from the first book that are wrapped up in the third.  Everything is so well planned, you know that author mapped everything out before tackling the first book.

So that's why I love this book.  Everything is perfectly crafted. The whole idea is just fun and well thought out.  Plus, there are some amazing characters, and maybe that's really what I love so much about this series. Gwen's family, friends, and even enemies are whole, realistic, and oozing personality, so even the minor characters have substance instead of simply being place holders.

So, back to what I said in the beginning, I love this book.  Should you read it? Yes. Is it perfect? No, but I really don't care.  It's one of those fun, delightful reads that I know I'm going to visit again and again, simply because I love the world and the characters so much.  I'm going to overlook the slightly disappointing climax and give it a solid 4.5 stars based on likability alone.   Because, really, the series has that undefinable something abut it that I still haven't quite been able to put my finger on but that makes me love it.  I know that's unfair in a review, so you'll have to read the series yourself and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment