Saturday, September 15, 2012

Book Review: Silver



Brianna has always felt invisible. People stare right past her, including the one boy she can't resist, Blake Williams. But everything changes at a house party where Brianna's charm bracelet slips off and time stands still. In that one frozen, silver moment, Blake not only sees her, he recognizes something deep inside her she's been hiding even from herself.

Discovering she is descended from Danu, the legendary Bandia of Celtic myth, Brianna finds herself questioning the truth of who she is. And when she accidentally binds her soul to Blake, their mutual attraction becomes undeniable.

But Blake has his own secret, one that could prove deadly for them both.

Bound together by forbidden magic, Brianna and Blake find themselves at the heart of an ancient feud that threatens to destroy their lives and their love. Quoted from Goodreads

--------------------

No. Just no. Do not bother.

I hate giving negative reviews, but this story . . . I just can't jump on the bandwagon and recommend this. Here's the thing, the premise of the book is good.  I love incorporating Celtic myth and a girl who has lived her life next to invisible.  It is an excellent premise.  Plus the promise of mystery!  What is Blake's deadly secret?  I mean, how could I not pick this book up.  Oh, and the cover!  I love it. It is beautiful and lovely.  But you know what they say about books and covers . . .

This is the thing.  I pretty much hated the characters.  First there is Brianna.  Half the time she is a sweet, normal girl, and you kind of like her. Then she does something needy and stupid.  I mean, in the very beginning she has so little self confidence that she makes out with a boy whose name she doesn't even know because he notices her (and she may be a little drunk, so I get the whole lowered inhibitions, etc.) and lets him feel her up. I mean, the girl has never even been kissed. Is this really how the author wanted to introduce her main character, the one everyone is supposed to like and relate to? Then on Brianna and Blake's first date, they sleep together because she just can't help herself, and that is where the story's conflict really starts.

Now Blake. The first time he sees her, he claims the right to kill Brianna (sorry about that spoiler, but it's kind of obvious and it happens in the first chapter). He know something bad would happen if they slept together, but she was just so beautiful, he can't help himself.  Yeah.  So I'm going to buy that this is true love?  Honestly, I don't care that there is a curse involved.  Their whole relationship is shallow. There is no reason given for them to be together besides the curse and their amazing attractiveness. Can you say lasting relationship?

Then there's Brianna's friends.  Half the time the treat Brianna like crap, and boys always come first. I especially disliked Christy.  She is a complete airhead, lets guys treat her like dirt and still goes back to them, and gets mad at Brianna for trying to steal aforementioned crappy boyfriend. Like anyone in their right mind would want him.

The thing is, I wanted to like this book.  A lot of the concepts in it were amazing (Celtic mythology/magic, the difference in their powers, the whole seventh generation thing, and girl hidden in plain sight). Even the writing was pretty decent, but I just didn't like the characters or their relationships.  I love a properly done star-crossed lovers plot, and I didn't even really mind the love triangle (partly because I didn't really feel like it was legitimate.  Who she was going to get with was too obvious). But the characters themselves and the relationships were rather repulsive.  The more I thought about it, the less I liked it.

So this book is going to receive the sad 2 star rating.  It could have been fun if I had liked any of the characters, but as it is . . .

1 comment: