Sunday, August 26, 2012

Book Review: Endlessly


Evie's paranormal past keeps coming back to haunt her. A new director at the International Paranormal Containment Agency wants to drag her back to headquarters. The Dark Faerie Queen is torturing humans in her poisonous realm. And supernatural creatures keep insisting that Evie is the only one who can save them from a mysterious, perilous fate.

The clock is ticking on the entire paranormal world. And its fate rests solely in Evie's hands. Quoted from Goodreads
--------------------
This year has seen the conclusion of so many trilogies/series, for me at least, and most of them pulled it off pretty well. I'm always sad to see a series end.  And happy. Endlessly by Kiersten White is no different.  

I should probably explain now that I read this book about a month ago.  Yes, I was one of those people who rushed out to by the book the day it came out, or, well, I pushed some buttons on my kindle and it magically appeared, so I can't exactly claim it was a lot of work.  Still I had it that first day, and I finished it by the next one.  And I really liked it. Of course I didn't have a blog then, or not really, so better late than never.

Everything that I loved in the first two books was present, and it all circled back to create a tight story without any nasty loose ends or wait, what? moments.  It's hard not to say too much about the third book in a series because I don't want to give too much away from the first two, but everything leads to a fantastic ending full of twists, love, conflict, and sacrifice.

One of the things I look for in books is a multifaceted conflict, and Endlessly delivered.  We have the IPCA attacking Evie from one side, the evil fairies from another, and even the good mythical creatures and her normal high school friends want something from Evie. All she wants is live a normal life, normal relationships, and keep from being hurt, captured, or killed.

Kiersten White created a phenomenal world with a different take on everything paranormal while maintaining the roots of the legends.  For example, the unicorn. What can I say, she turned the myth on its head and yet, for a moment, it was the stuff little girls dream of. And then it wasn't. In fact it might even make them cry. And it's that way for all of the different magical creatures she created. Oh, and the bleeping.  Who can forget the bleeping bleeping?

As fun as the world is, the characters are what made the book for me. Lend was as sweet and loyal as ever, Jack simultaneously made me laugh and shake my head, Reth continued to confuse and exasperate me, while Vivian stays . . . interesting.  But far and away I love Evie the most.

Evie is one of my favorite characters in all young adult literature right now. She is funny, sarcastic, way too perky, and in love with everything pink and sparkly, yet she can still kick butt and save the day.  I love her interactions with the other characters because she responds so differently to each.  I think one of the reasons I love Jack and Reth so much in this book is because of the way they exasperate Evie. Same with Lend, only different.  He calms her down, providing that center she so desperately needs.

Now all of you need to run out and read this book, or this series if you haven't started it already.  It is light, sweet, and fun while still managing to be rather epic, which is an unusual.  I give this book a solid 4.5 stars and eagerly away the two new books Kiersten White has coming out next year.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I read Paranormal and I loved it . . . but I never picked up book # 2, because it's hard for me to get into a series that never finishes, you know? So I am happy that this book has come out, because now I can go through and read them all and have a sense of closure! Thanks for letting me know that I won't be wasting my time investing in three books. Glad to know the series ends so well:)

    ReplyDelete